Tuesday, August 4, 2015

The Mommy Pooch- Diastasis Recti

Diastasis Recti

Heard of it before?  Most people don't, I didn't.  Not until I discovered I had this not so lovely condition after having my 1st child.  It's more commonly known as abs separation, because that's what it is, your abs muscles separated.  And you know what, it sucks.  It sucks a lot. 

Ever wondered why some women look pregnant many months and even years after having a baby?  I did.  Well actually I didn't wonder, I assumed it was fat.  I judged.  I judged thinking that they had let themselves go, and simply did not try to get back into shape.  Surely this would not happen to me! I was in good shape, active, young!  And having all my children before the age of 30 I would surely bounce back right? Nope.

You see abs separation is maybe the main reason some women look 5 months pregnant postpartum.  When your abdominal muscles separate, there is nothing to keep your organs in.  They push out and you are left with a belly very much resembling that of a pregnant mother.  So no.  Please don't touch my stomach.  That's not a baby.  Those are my organs protruding. Thank you.

What can be done about this condition?  When it's a small gap that's not deep (good connective tissue) certain exercises engaging traverse muscles can help.  But when it's a large gap, that's deep.  Not much.  Currently my gap is a 10 finger width and not only is it wide, it is deep.  Really deep.  I feel like I can touch my spine and for that reason will not lie on the floor around my children in fear they will do some serious damage if they choose to jump on me.  Because if you're lying on the floor, you're just asking to be jumped on with small children in the house. 

Now you may be thinking certainly sit ups will help this condition?  Another no.  Guess what, they make it worse!  And not just exercises makes it worse, simply getting out of bed the wrong way, lifting my baby, my toddler, all prevent healing.  As mentioned before exercises engaging the traverse muscles can bring the muscles back together, but until my connective tissue heals, every time I lift my toddler, they rip open again.

So what do I do?  I give it time.  I have been blessed to have had 3 children naturally with no pain meds, so I really do not want to be going under the knife for major surgery.  Major surgery not covered as it's considered cosmetic.

Point of this post?  Unless a woman looks like she's about to pop, or is caressing her belly lovingly, don't assume she's pregnant. 

Hoping I can later update that my condition improves with then, until then.  No, I'm not pregnant.

No comments:

Post a Comment