Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Royal Icing Recipe

I used to think sugar cookies were a conspiracy.  Every recipe that I tried in a book, a magazine or on the Internet never looked anything like the final result.  Never.  The pictures would show smooth icing.  And your results? A lumpy mess.

How did these magazines show perfect cookies, but left me with an ugly mess? How?! It haunted me!

Then I discovered meringue powder!  I first decided to use meringue powder in place of egg whites as I didn't want to be serving people icing made with raw eggs whites.  I bought my meringue powder at McCall's bakery in Etobicoke and the results were magical!  Finally smooth icing that dried hard and tasted good!

The recipe that I'm going to share is straight from the packaging printed on the meringue powder I bought at McCall's.  Since I've started using this recipe, I've seen it on other blogs on the Internet.  Sweetopia to mention one, she's amazing, you should check her out!

This recipe is huge.
So unless I am making 40 cookies I will have it half it.


What you need:
-whisk
-bowl
-mixer with paddle attachment

Ingredients
-180ml (6oz) of warm water
-5 (75ml) tablespoons of meringue powder
-1 teaspoon cream of tarter
-1kg of icing sugar (roughly 7 cups)
-1 teaspoon of clear vanilla

Halved as follows:

-90ml (3oz) of warm water
-37.5 ml  (2 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon+ 1/2 teaspoon) Meringue Powder
-1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
-500grams powdered icing sugar (roughly 3 1/2 cups)
-1/2 teaspoon of clear vanilla


Method
1. Pour water in mixing bowl
2. Add meringue powder and whisk for 30 seconds
3. Add cream of tartar and whisk for 30 seconds
4. On low speed slowly add your icing sugar.  I used to sift the sugar prior but now I don't.  I did not find any difference.
5. Run the mixer on low speed for 3-5 minutes, scraping the sides of the bowl occasionally with a spatula.
6. Add vanilla any time during the mixing.

Mix until well combined and the icing is smooth.
Warning, it is possible to over mix.  I did not know this was possible until I did it. It will become too thick and will not be the right consistency.  This only happened once when I left the mixer running 10 to 20 minutes.

Storage
If I'm using the icing later, I will store in airtight containers.  If using immediately, I will place a damp tea towel over the mixing bowl.  If using various colours, I will divide the icing amongst bowls to colour and cover with plastic wrap.

Stay tuned for a follow up post ensuring the correct consistency of icing!


Tips!
-Buy meringue powder and clear vanilla at Michael's craft shop.  There is always at least a 40% off coupon.
-Use a kitchen scale for measuring if you're not using a new bag of sugar.
-Need a sugar recipe? Click here!

No comments:

Post a Comment